Friday, September 08, 2006

Review of Pama International's "Trojan Sessions"

You know, I own two Pama Internationa CDs...one is an EP called, "Too Many Freaks, Not Enough Stages," and the other one was their last album, "Float Like a Butterfly." I'll be honest, I only mildly enjoyed their EP, and didn't like "Float" at all.

Their latest album, "Trojan Sessions" is something of a peculiarity...because Trojan Records is releasing contemporary artist....so that must count for something right? I don't think I've actually seen a Trojan record that hasn't been a collection of older Jamaican music.

"Trojan Sessions" also boasts a slew of legends in the world of Jamaican music...Rico, Dennis Alcapone, Dawn Penn, Dave & Ansel Collins (of which, this is suppose to be their first recording together in awhile), Derrick Morgan, Winston Francis, and AJ Franklin. That also has to count for something.

The album starts off on a very strong note, with the first three tracks being my favorite...there's something that feels very mysterious about the first track, "Disobedient Child" (which features Rico Rodriguez), the second track, "Neither High Nor Dry" is a very very catchy track, with Dennis Alcapone chatting/toasting whatever you call it on the track. The third track, "Betterment Blues" features Dawn Penn on vocals, and is a sort of sad sounding song, especially when compared to the previous track.

After the first three however, the songs start sounding more like same old Pama songs...though with better production values. Not bad, by any means, but not that great either.

Also, I was sort of disappointed with the Dave & Ansel track...not that it was a bad track, but I think it was my own fault for expecting something like "Double Barrel" or "Monkey Spanner..." I know those days for them are long past, but still...

My final word on this album? All the tracks which has guest artists on it are great, and I wouldn't skip them. The non-guest tracks are the same old Pama International stuff, but with better production values. Still, I'd have to say this is probably their best album to date.

No comments: