Friday, February 03, 2006

World War III is started by cartoons...?

Opinions...are such a touchy subject.


I'm kinda torn on the whole issue with the Danish newspaper printing those cartoons which caused so much offense to Muslims around the world. I've seen those cartoons and they really can be offensive to Muslims.

At the same time, I'm a big proponent of free speech, and unforunately, the freedom of speech also includes the freedom to hate (thru means such as these cartoons, or message boards, or speech related things...not thru action). That does not mean I'm criticizing the protestors around the world protesting the cartoon...because protesting is a form of free speech. Who I'm criticizing, is those who are calling for a "holy" war against the "infidels". It really is vexing to see a lot of people actually wanting to kill others just for some silly cartoons. Is God so insecure that he'd want his followers to kill those who might disrespect him? I don't think so.

Now, switch to the other side. If the newspaper had posted offensive cartoons about something else...maybe something about homosexuals, or minorities, I really wonder if the newspapers would be as stubborn as they are now, constantly saying, "FREEDOM OF SPEECH, FREEDOM OF THE PRESS!"? Well, I'm not sure how Europe treats homosexuals and minorities (and if France was any indication, than minorities are treated like shit), so I can't answer that question, but that's some food for thought.

I know that over here, if anything slightly offensive towards anything (especially religion...and more specifically, Christianity), then there'd be a huge uproar, and the pussy newspapers would immediately apologize and probably fire whoever made the offensive content. I mean, people have been fired for less.


No comments: