Wednesday, May 24, 2006

So I started reading this manga, Violinist of Hamelin. Basically, it's a story that takes place in a fantasy world, not too different from mideval Europe. The human world is at war with monsters, and the monsters are trying to revive their great king, Kestra.

Our main hero, Hamelin, is a half human, half monster travelling to the North to destroy the Monster army, and stop the rebirth of the Monster King. He wields a giant Violin, and by playing certain tunes, he can influence the people around him (and this is how he fights). Of course, in typical adventure story fashion, he encounters various allies and enemies along the way.

The story could be serious, but actually, it's more funny than serious, with jokes, usually potty humour jokes, dominating. Even at "serious" parts where a city is under attack, the characters still find the time to make fun of how a character looks.

Well, I really didn't mean to really write a review for this series, what I wanted to say was that I've been looking for a series like this for awhile. It reminds me a LOT of my favorite anime series, Slayers, both in its characters and the humour, and the whole fantasy adventure feeling.

This series actually has an anime version out too, but supposedly, it's massively different from it's manga counterpart. Whereas the manga is all about humour (but don't get me wrong, there are some dramatic and serious parts in the manga), the anime is all about the drama, and is suppose to be one of the sadder series. I think I'll stay away from the anime.

No comments: