Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Just A Little Bit of Your Soul...

So a couple of posts ago, I did this whole entry about how TSPO has all these references to old ska bands and/or songs. Here's another one I found out recently...

On the song Bongo Tango (which is a cover of a Skatalites song anyways), when the trombonist does his solo, he does it to the tune of RINGO, another Skatalites song. They play Bongo Tango a lot, but the only time it's really been recorded on a CD is their, "LIVE" album which was released in 91, I think. TSPO fact of the day.

Now, here are the play lists for the last 2 podcast episodes i've posted. I should have Episode 4 up soon. It's a West Coast + Mexico episode, and I had one hell of a hard time thinking of the playlist. First of all, I couldn't think of much Mexican ska bands, since I don't know of many, and the few that I do know, have shitty production values. Second of all, I was focusing wayyy too much on California bands, and if you'd like to drill down even more, wayyy too much Southern California bands. As a result, I'm not entirely happy with the playlist I made for Episode 4....I'm missing some IMPORTANT bands like The Skeletones, The Uptones, and Untouchables, bands that have been around since the 80s, I'm also missing some semi-big names, like Debonaires, See Spot, Allentons. But it's not a bad playlist, but it's just so hard, especially for an hour show.


Episode 3:

Polysics - Buggie Technica (New Recording)
The Operators *780* - Indecision
The After Hours - Tropical Bliss
The Ethiopians - The World Goes Ska
Determinations - Easy Problem
Little Tempo - Dragon Twist
Anouman - Exactly Like You
Alton Ellis - Girl I've Gote a Date
The Gadjits - Sh'Bop
Tsuyoshi Kawakami & His Moodmakers - Summer Samba
Moon Monkeys - Journey to the Moon
Don Drummond & The Skatalites - Garden of Love
The Wild Bunch - The Wild Bunch Meets Wong Fei Hung
Phenomenauts - Mission
Dave & Ansel Collins - Monkey Spanner
Toots & the Maytals - Never You Change
The Zodiacs - Renegade
Derrick Morgan - Gimme Back
Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra - Let's Go Out
The Aquabats - The Wild Sea


Episode 2:

Chuck Berry - Back in the U.S.A.
Slackers - Mommy
The Skatalites - From Russia, with Love
The Hippy Boys - Dreams to Remember
The Nuckle Brothers - Hot Rod
The Aggrolites - The Stampede
GG All Stars - Champion
Orange Street - Oh Please! -LIVE-
The Surf Coasters - SURFING AND SPYING
Don Drummond - Sudden Attack
Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra - Zero Fighter
Prince Buster - Freezing Up Orange Street
The Pilfers - Hypnotized
Desmond Dekker & The Cherry Pies - King of Ska
Determinations - O Wave
Sound Dimension - Funky Joe
Ramón "Mongo" Santamaría - Suavito
Ska Cubano - Loca Rumba
The Upsetters - Man from MI5
The Skoidats - Last Night

No comments: